Mentor Graphics, leading EDA company hosted a highly technical seminar entitled: “Formal Technology Seminar” at Austin on Oct 8th, 2015. Below is a quick trip report as captured by our VerifNews team.
- Trends in Formal: What has Changed, What is Still Needed? — Harry Foster, Chief Verification Scientist
- How Mentor is Addressing Today’s Formal Verification Trends & Matching Customer Challenges
- Accelerating Coverage Closure with Formal Verification – Mark Eslinger
- Power Tips & Tricks to Get the Most Out of Formal – Doug Smith
- Formal Model Checking: From Oblivion to a Pillar of Success — Ram Narayan, Design and Verification R&D, Oracle Corporation
- Product Update and Roadmap Preview for Questa Formal & CDC Technologies
Harry Foster started with another session of his popular survey results analysis that he has been doing across the globe by now (See similar talk at DVCOn India: http://verifnews.org/2015/09/harry-dvcon-india-keynote/). Few key highlights:
Annual Design jobs growth 3.7 % Verification jobs growth : 12.8% – So good to be in demand you the Verification engineers!
Respin Trends: Smaller designs <5M gates have more respins than the large designs of > 80M gates. Sounds odd? Here is Harry’s rationale:
Smaller designs are NOT necessarily less complex. Larger designs are predominantly assembly of pre-verified IPs
Mark then talked about “Accelerating Coverage Closure with Formal Verification”. With some impressive results from customer case studies such as Micron he drove home the point that Formal apps are very useful even for simulation folks with coverage unreachability and other applications.
Doug Smith then followed with his “Power Tips & Tricks to Get the Most Out of Formal” topic:
Then followed one of the key attractions of this event: Ram Narayan, Consulting Member of Technical Staff in Oracle Labs presented on his DAC-2015 popular topic: “Formal Model Checking: From Oblivion to a Pillar of Success”
For those interested in learning more about these deep thoughts, refer to Verification Academy Video at: https://verificationacademy.com/sessions/dac-2015/Formal-Model-Checking-From-Oblivion-to-a-Pillar-of-Success
Overall it was a well spent half-a-day with an expert Formal team at Austin. Thanks Mentor for doing this and we look forward to covering you at next available opportunity – VerifNews team!